12 Mar Power flushing – What is it and the benefits of having one?
Power flushing can solve a very common issue that both a home and workplace may experience. Cold spots on a radiator. Warm along the top and the side but cold in the middle. This is most often caused by a build-up of sludge in the system, not allowing the water to flow and heat up.
This dreaded sludge can also be a cause of boiler breakdowns. It can cause your system to run slow and affect the efficiency of your heating system. In short, costing you more money!
A central heating power flush can be a great way to clear this sludge. Get everything running as it should.
WHAT IS POWER FLUSHING?
A power flushing is a cleansing process. Using a chemical solution, it removes the build-up of rust, debris and sludge. This built up inside your central heating system is normal and occurs over time. This prevents blockages and central heating inefficacy. Meaning you can prolong the life of your heating system.
At some point, the sludge and debris in your system could also cause blockages and damage to your system. This will to a costly breakdown or severe repair.
SIGNS YOU MAY NEED A POWER FLUSH
There are many signs you can look out for which may suggest your system may have a build-up:
- Cold spots on your radiator particularly at the bottom
- Unusual, excessive noise coming from your boiler or pump
- The radiators take a longer than usual amount of time to heat up
- Cold radiators but hot pipes leading up
- Limescale in your system, identified by cloudy tap water
- Needing to restarting your boiler a lot
- Boiler shutting down on its own
- Unusual noise coming from your radiators
- Particular radiators struggling to heat up. Usually the ones furthest away from the boiler.
During your annual service our WRP Engineer will carry out tests on your heating system. These may identify a build-up of sludge, corrosion or debris in the system. Our engineer will then recommend a to carry out a power flush.
If you have your boiler serviced on a regular basis then a preventative power flush may be all you need. Our engineer will be able to tell you how often you can have it done based on your system type.
We would always recommend a power flush before a new boiler installation.
HOW DO WE CARRY OUT A POWER FLUSH?
Always use a qualified professional to carry out a power flush. Our engineers have full training on to handle the specialist chemicals and equipment.
We attach a purpose-built pumping unit to the central heating system. This combines a high flow with low pressure. Allowing the cleaning chemicals to flow through the system removing the build-up. Next, descaling chemicals flush through the system. These remove any limescale. A corrosion inhibitor is often added to the mix to prevent rust from forming in the future.
The contaminated liquid is then removed and disposed of by the engineer. If we find stubborn deposits, we have specialist tools we can use to remove these.
We can usually complete a standard power flush on a residential property in one day. A power flush takes between 6-10 hours. This will depend on the size and age of your system and extent of the build-up.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS POWER FLUSHING?
There are many benefits of having a power flush on your central heating system:
- It can improve the efficiency of your heating system and may save you money on your energy bills
- Increase the lifespan of your heating system
- Reduced chance of a breakdown or costly repairs
- Radiators emitting more heat
- Improve the reliability of your system
- Radiators heat up quicker
- Reducing the noise from the boiler, pump and radiators
- Increase in hot water temperature
Any of the signs above sound familiar to you? Do you feel you may need a power flush? Contact us today for advice and to get yourself booked in on 01772 347327 or email email@example.com.